Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Too Easy to be a Recipe


It seems like, despite spending lots of dough at Trader Joe's and planning out our week's meals, I always end up in the kitchen, one night a week, wondering, "What in the world are we going to eat tonight?" Back in the day, I would have confidently answered, "Cereal," to myself. But, since the kids have most likely already eaten cereal once or twice that day (ahem), I often turn to this easy meal.

Veggie Egg Scramble and Multi-Grain Biscuits

Just like it sounds. I scramble up about 8 eggs, some milk and a bunch of sauteed vegetables (usually caramelized onion, zucchini, spinach and tomato) in a cast-iron pan. I let it cook for a while, nice and low. I am often tempted to really turn up the heat and make dinner in 5 minutes, instead of 15. But, I read in Gourmet magazine (where, no surprise here, I did NOT get this recipe) to cook scrambled eggs low and long and it really makes a difference.

In the meantime, I use the Trader Joe's multi grain pancake mix (glorified and healthy Bisquick alternative) to make some drop biscuits. They are flaky and dry, which I strangely love.

Serve biscuits with butter and honey. Serve eggs with good salt and pepper. Done and done.

For more details on perfecting your scrambled eggs, read this.

Photo from thekitchn.com


No comments:

Post a Comment