Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Giving Tofu a Chance





I was a vegetarian for about 6 years. Never a good one, mind you. Lots of bagels and cereal and salads. College cafeterias in the late 90's were not catering to vegetarians, that's for sure. I suddenly started to eat meat again, about 8 years ago. Turkey and chicken mainly, but occasionally, a hamburger, too. I cannot seem to say 'no' when my husband asks if I want an "In and Out" burger.

In light of the health and ecological benefits of eating vegetarian, I have been trying to prepare at least 3 vegetarian meals each week for our family. Pasta with vegetables, veggie pizza and vegetable lasagna are staples. But I have been trying to branch out. I tried this recipe last week. I loved it and ate it for lunch 3 days straight. My little one, C, ate it straight out of the serving bowl. My daughter, L, picked at it. And my husband said, "Yeah. I just don't like tofu."

Mixed reviews, I would have to admit. But, if you like tofu, you will like this. Oh, and I can't say 'no' to goat cheese, either.

Note: I added a can of pinto beans.

(Photo and recipe from Real Simple online)

Serves 4
Hands-On Time: 20m
Total Time: 20m


Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu—drained, patted dry, and crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
kosher salt and black pepper
1 10-ounce package frozen corn (2 cups), thawed
1 5-ounce package baby spinach (about 6 loosely packed cups)
8 small flour tortillas, warmed
3/4 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (3 ounces)
3/4 cup store-bought refrigerated salsa

Directions
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the corn and cook, tossing, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and toss until wilted.
Fill the tortillas with the tofu mixture, goat cheese, and salsa.




No comments:

Post a Comment