This is one of our favorite dinners. Serve with hummus and cut-up red peppers, cucumbers and baby tomatoes. We sometimes throw some grilled chicken on top if we have leftovers. The best thing is that you can make this salad early in the day. It is actually better when it has been in the fridge for awhile. I try to get feta cheese with herbs from Trader Joe's and then omit the oregano and pepper.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 chopped cucumber
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped red, orange or yellow pepper
- 8 cups bagged prewashed spinach (about 8 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Cool rice after cooking.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts.
Combine rice, sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, spinach mixture, cheese, and beans. Sprinkle with nuts; serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light