Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cozy Side Dish

Roasted potatoes are not rocket-science, I know. But, if they are not on your weekly menu, particularly in the fall and winter (okay, it is still 68 degrees here, but still...) you are missing out. This is a warm, hearty, healthy side dish. We have been doing vegetarian dinners, so roasted potatoes go well with a vegetable omelet, asparagus and salad, or if you eat fish, broiled salmon.

I use this recipe but add two chopped zucchinis and one chopped onion. I also use a lot less olive oil, but I don't really measure so I am not sure how much I use. The tiny fingerling potatoes at Trader Joe's right now are so buttery and the bag of blue, red and yellow potatoes look just a bit fancy.

Ingredients
3 pounds small red or white potatoes
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the potatoes in half or quarters and place in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic; toss until the potatoes are well coated. Transfer the potatoes to a sheet pan and spread out into 1 layer. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until browned and crisp. Flip twice with a spatula during cooking in order to ensure even browning.

1 comment:

  1. This inspired me to make these last night when I couldn't decide on a side dish. Thanks!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete